Day 05 → Something you hope to do in your life.
January 13, 2011 § Leave a comment
I have a bucket list. It’s both inspiring and morbid at the same time. It’s constantly being changed, added, updated. My bucket list is long. Sometimes it spreads itself out into a diary type form as I talk about dreams I have. If you don’t have a list of things you want to do I suggest you try writing them down. Maybe it’s not something that you think you would enjoy but you could be surprised! Once I started it helped me to realize things that even I didn’t know I wanted.
Here’s a brief look at my bucket list:
- Visit a Monastery. I’m talking about a real take-a-vow-of-silence with monks kind of place. I think it would be fascinating and a good lesson in self discipline, not to mention singular focus on having a specific purpose.
- Master a Profession. Right now I’m an apprentice jeweler.. honestly there isn’t much apprenticing going on because it’s the busiest time of the year and I understand that. But inside I’m chomping at the bit to get the nitty-gritty stuff figured out. I want to take classes and get hands on experience. I thought for the longest time I was going to be a chef. Don’t get me wrong, I love to cook! But I don’t feel like that’s the place I want to settle down into. So I’m still looking for it.. and maybe someday I’ll be a jeweler.. or maybe this is just another stepping stone. I guess only time will tell.
- Explore the World. Yeah, I know that’s a pretty broad topic. The thing is that I’ve never actually been off the East coast. I’ve been as far as Ohio – and that’s not really far at all. In the United States alone there are so many wonderful and interesting things to see and I’m just dying to get out there and do it. Not to mention all of the other countries I’d love to have a chance to see as well. Why I haven’t done it yet? Well, money for one. It always seems to be short. And then there’s time… I have all of the excuses in the world but what it boils down to is that I just really need to do it.
- Sing. Alright so this is something I’ve done before and just want to keep on doing. I was in choir in high school which I loved. I was in a band. I was in a chorus. I just really like to sing with other people. I love to harmonize and blend and just sing it out with all my heart. So I’d like to get into that again.
- Publish a Book. I’m working on a book. Heck, I’ve been working on a book for a long time and I’m probably going to be working on it for a long while to come. But eventually, when I feel like it’s right, I’d like to have it published. I don’t have any dreams of being a famous author but I’d just really like to see it through from start to finish, look at it on a shelf and have someone, anyone, read it. Even if they don’t like it.
- Have a Family. Surprise! A girl that wants a family! Nothing new here. I’d like to be happily married and have some kids. I’m not saying I want it tomorrow… but I’d really like it. I like the idea of family – not that I don’t know it myself because I do – but I guess everyone has an idea of what they want a family to be – and I can only imagine what it would be like to have my own… even if it is a dysfunctional one.
- Own a Vineyardand make some wine. I’m fascinated by the process and love the energy and environment of a vineyard. It’s beautiful and peaceful but at the same time it’s thriving with growth and eager anticipation. On top of which I imagine there’s nothing like being the source of a beautiful, complex, full bodied wine.
- Photograph and Document a Journey. I don’t care if it’s a journey to the grocery store. Alright.. maybe somewhere further than that. But seriously, I’d love to document a road trip or traveling somewhere. And that’s why I’ve started this blog! A place to document the journey of my life and as an outlet for when I decide to put some of these goals together and GO!
- Learn to Blow Sugar. Sounds weird unless you’re a culinary-minded person but this is actually quite an art – much like blowing glass (which is how they make a lot of glass things like ornaments, vases, etc.) You can color sugar, heat it to melt it, stretch and bend and mold it and blow it much the same way and I think it would be fun to learn how to do it.
- Spend Christmas with my whole family.It’s been quite a few years since my parents, brother, grandparents and I have been together in the same place at the same time. We’ve had our share of disagreements but it would be special to be able to do be together like that again. I miss everyone so much and it seems like a distant dream sometimes but I’d love to have a family get-together and Christmas is really the time for it. But I’d settle for a Wednesday as long as we’re together.
The list isn’t all that extravagant… it’s much longer than I listed here but they’re all fairly down-to-earth and mostly doable things.
I don’t know how much time I have left – nobody does, really. But I’d like to do a least a few of the things on my list before I kick the ol’ bucket. But hey, even if I don’t, I’m thankful for what I have been able to do and the life I’ve had has been a good one.
Until next time – dream big!